Our eldest son came home over lunch today, just as I was finishing making guac. I asked if he wanted any. “Uhhh. I’ll have a taste.” Which became another, and another, and … until he’d eaten about half the bowl. “It’s better than usual.” I’m not sure whether to take that as a compliment or a cut… or neither, since I’m usually not the one who has made it when he eats it.
Regardless, it was great. Our guac really is always pretty much the same, but has slight variations depending on what we have on hand. Here’s today’s version.
- 1 large avocado
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 onion
- 1/4 tomato, peeled and seeds removed
- 3/4″ piece of large jalapeño, seeds removed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 drops doTerra Lime Essential Oil
- toothpick doTerra Cilantro Essential Oil
Blend all till well mixed. If you prefer chunkier guac, mince the veggies, dice the avocado and mix and mash together.
Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator, (in a Mason Jar,) 🙂 with the pit of the avocado in the guac. That helps keep it from turning brown. (The lemon juice in it does too.)
- Sometimes we use a whole roma tomato, but aren’t huge fans of a lot of tomato in our guac.
- If we don’t have jalapeño, we leave it out.
- Sometimes we use lime juice, instead of lemon, if we have fresh limes on hand. And leave out the Lime EO.
- If I have fresh cilantro, I use about 1/4 bunch cilantro leaves. Sometimes we leave it out completely. A “toothpick” of essential oil means put a toothpick into the oil in the bottle and stir that into the dish you’re making–for times when you need less than a drop.
Do you love guac?