Can you believe it? One of the things I’ve never made from scratch is Veggie Burgers. Long, long ago we used to buy a box of dry mix that we added water to. We lost that source, and for a while bought frozen patties, but I wasn’t completely happy with those ingredients, so we didn’t have them often.
Now that I have my Instant Pot and can go from dry beans to ready to use in less than an hour, I decided to give it a try. I researched several recipes, then forged out on my own. What do I like? What has been in restaurant burgers that I’ve liked? What sounds good? Here’s what I came up with last night. They were delicious. But the variety is endless.
Lisa’s Good for You-Naturally! Black Bean Burgers
- 2 cups cooked Black Beans (1 cup Black Beans, 2 1/2+ cups water, Instant Pot high pressure 15-30 minutes. Natural Release.)
- 2 Tbl. Ground Flax Seed mixed with 3 Tbl. water
- 1/4 Red Pepper
- 1/4 medium Onion (I used Red)
- 1-2 cloves Garlic
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/4+ tsp. Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper (ground)
- 1/2 tsp. Real Salt (opt.)
- 1 Tbl. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1/4+ cup bean water
- 1/2 cup Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- Cook Beans.
- Grind Flax Seeds and soak in water.
- Process Peppers, Onions, and Garlic until as fine as you’d like. Add Spices, Aminos, Oats and 1 cup of drained Beans (reserve liquid) and process again, pulsing to mix spices in thoroughly, but not turn oats into flour. Add water and Flax, beginning with 1/4 cup water (that’s all I needed) and pulse slightly to mix.
- Add remaining Beans, Mushrooms, and Corn. Pulse just to mix in (not break down much.)
- Form into patties onto parchment paper. (I just use a 1/4 cup measuring cup or scoop, and flatten the tops a bit.)
- Bake at 350° or Grill (I put into freezer for a few minutes to firm up a bit before grilling.) approx. 15 minutes. Flip half way through.
- Makes approx. 10 burgers. Can be frozen with parchment paper between.
- I served with Avocado Slices
- Use Organic ingredients and purified water
- You don’t have to use a Food Processor. You can just chop the veggies, and moosh all together with your hands (or mash the beans a bit and stir with a spoon.)
Unbaked/ungrilled patties. I will update with cooked picture when I make again. Sorry. Forgot.
Enjoy! And let me know how you liked them!