I took these bars to the Community Playhouse a couple times during Mary Poppins. A few asked for the recipe, so here it is.
Peanut Butter Bars
- ¼ cup applesauce (apples and water only)
- 1 cup peanut butter, almond butter (nuts only)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon unrefined salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp flour – almond or whole wheat
- ⅔ cup coconut sap “sugar”
- ¼ cup carob chips or cacao nibs (can be omitted)
- up to 2 tbsp almond milk (or other), only if needed
- Mix dry ingredients together. In seapate bowl mix stir nut butter, until it stirs well, add and blend int the wet ingredients (not the milk.) Mix together, and stir, stir, stir till all is smooth. Only add milk if necessary. It will be stiff.
- Spread into greased 8″ sq. pan. (Coconut oil or real butter or lecithin mix)
- Bake at 350° for approx. 15 minutes. They will seem not done, but if the top is set, they should be. Just allow them to cool for at least 20 minutes to firm up.
Enjoy! Let me know if you make them and how you liked them.
adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
Sorry, no picture taken. I will try to remember to take one when we make them again, and add it here.